Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Episode 578: In Which I Hit a Deer

New Albin Days is over and done with for the year, and I know I need to blog it here and also update the New Albin Days blog, but I am still processing. I would call it a wild success, especially considering how it had been 12 years since anyone had put one on and we had a core group of about 12 volunteers to start with. Mama and Papa came down Sunday and watched the parade. It was fun seeing them out there in the crowd.




Anyway, Sunday night at dusk, it had just started to rain, and I was driving to Lansing to get Miss B from work, when I hit a smallish deer. The things travel in packs, and I saw the first one and missed it, but then I hit the second one who could not wait to catch up with its brother or sister and made a dash for it. Amazingly enough, I'm fine, and the car is still driveable; the front left quarter-panel is pushed in and the headlight is off kilter. I think the deer even walked away from the accident, because I couldn't find it.

The Concorde is now up at our favorite body shop, Kious Kountry, and we have a rental replacement - a 2007 Dodge Charger. Ooh, but it's fun! Ugly as sin, but fast, and with great pickup. It WANTS to go fast. Barry says the engine is the same size as the Concorde's, but the car itself is smaller and lighter, the suspension is very tight and the steering is stiff, so you feel like you're at 55 when you're pushing 80. I'm going to make Barry drive it to work to keep me out of trouble.

No comments: