Friday, July 04, 2008

Finished by Friday: Roller Shades for my Office

So what did you finish this week? Big or small, let's celebrate, because it's something that has been moved from wherever you were storing it, to where it can be used, eaten, worn, ridden, carried, cuddled, given away, sold or otherwise enjoyed.

Here are a couple of things that I finished this week:

First is a very bad photo of the windows in my office, through which the afternoon sunshine streams - wonderful in the winter, when we need the passive solar heat, but not so great in the summer. Besides, it's hard on the dolls in my office, to be in direct sunshine. I found some beautiful fake silk fabric at Wal-Mart, and I made roller shades to go in the windows. I did not line them, so that lots of light still comes through; it just takes the edge off. I already noticed a difference in the afternoon heat. I know you can't tell by the picture, but the fabric is nearly exactly the color of the background of my gorgeous wallpaper, sort of gold-brown-green.



And then here is another old lawn chair which I re-fabricked (I just made up that word) in the striped printed duck that I used for a director's style chair a couple of weeks ago. This is one of those Titanic style deck recliners that makes you feel like you're in a hammock, sort of. The old oilcloth had mildewed, and then the stick that holds one end of it had snapped, so I replaced it with a piece of an old broom handle, and replaced the fabric. That's Master K there, demonstrating it for you. He says it's comfortable.

It was a crazy week, spent largely trying to catch my breath after a week away, so I'm especially proud of having a couple of things to show off here!

We are having a quieter than usual Independence Day. Barry is drywalling and Master K is helping him, Miss B is working at the nursing home, I'm working too, and only Lil Miss A and I took a break to go to the Eitzen Family Fun Fest parade. It lasts an hour and a half! She came home loaded with several cavities' worth of parade candy. Now she's at Vacation Bible School. We may go to the fireworks display in Lansing tonight if we still have any energy left by that point.

No comments: