Sunday, July 03, 2005

Mom in a Kayak

Yesterday was a lovely day for early July - breezy, not too hot, partly cloudy. Just wonderful. Our friends the Fruechtes called and asked if we would go canoeing with them on the Upper Iowa River on the spur of the moment. We tend to be a bit ponderous to do spur-of-the-moment, but we did it anyway, and it was a wonderful day!

I got to try kayaking for the first time and I'm hooked. I had no idea how quick and agile a kayak can be, even in the hands of the most rank of amateurs. It's so intuitive. I would think about going over there and zap, there I would be, over there. There were a number of extremely large, drunken parties of inner tubers floating down the river dumping empty beer cans all over the place, and I amused myself by zipping around on the river picking up those fallen soldiers so that they could be recycled rather than glopping up the beautiful river.

I want a kayak. One of my own. To keep. :)

No comments: