Saturday, June 30, 2007

Scottie - Stuffed Scottish Terrier

A certain Scottie-loving friend of mine, Kathleen Hidingout, just turned 40. I wanted to make her a toy Scottie for her birthday. She has two real live Scotties, Precious, a black one, and Smeagol, a white one.

The pattern I had in my files was really just not satisfactory; it was so flat. Really just a profile. Turns out someone else had the same complaint. I found a simple pattern here. With a few more alterations of my own I made this little guy:





He really looks a lot like Smeagol in this photo.



Barry took a look at him as his ears were going on and said, "Aren't those ears awfully big?" and I replied, "Have you SEEN Smeagol's ears?"



Okay, in case anyone needs me to be specific, here are the changes I made to the pattern I linked to above:

1. Enlarged to 200%.
2. Cut main body pieces without ears.
3. Cut rounded triangles of faux fur for ears, with felt for lining.
4. Cut 4 ovals of felt to add soles of feet.
5. Moved the eyes.
6. Trimmed the fur around the muzzle to just above the eyes, leaving it long under the chin for the beard and above the eyes for the eyebrows.
7. Added a black floss nose.

I think that's it.

No comments: