Monday, January 07, 2008

What I'm Watching, an Update

First, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. It was up (legally) on tv.yahoo.com for a few hours on Saturday, and I caught it, though it had been yanked by the time Barry got home from clinicals with the ambulance company. I think it will be entertaining and interesting, though nothing like the way the movies were. I hope Summer Glau settles into her part a bit; she didn't seem sure how to play it yet. Still, with Bear McCreary providing the score and Zoic doing effects, the show will be worth watching.

Second: Journeyman. I sorta watched it halfheartedly because it was after Chuck and Heroes, but then it started to get to me, and I talked Barry into watching a couple of them and thus was a monster born. Now it was he watched it while I lost track of the series. I am in the process of catching up. I think I still missed something because the last two eps of the set had some gaps for me, so I need to retrace my steps, but it's a very well put-together series. I understand that the writers' strike and of course the cutthroat business of prime time TV in general mean that the series is done, but I hope my understanding is wrong, as it is also a worth-watching show. Time travel is so tough to do believably, and one can find things to complain about in any manifestation of the concept, but over all I think they did it pretty well in Journeyman.

And other than that, until we get our Chuck back, network TV is pretty much for the birds. I don't care about who is dancing with which losing gladiator, as I hate (un)reality TV. We had a great season going, and I don't know if we'll ever get it back when the strike finally ends. I am not against the WGA; they gotta eat, and sharp writing is one of the main reasons we HAVE good television. I'm just disappointed that the timing, while good for the WGA, was so poor for those of us who were thinking tentatively about maybe, possibly, considering renewing our faith in the future of broadcast TV.

So it's back to Netflix for us. We are simultaneously working our way through Wonderfalls, Invader Zim and season 2 of Veronica Mars, and anxiously awaiting the release of Eureka, Season 2 on DVD. *sigh*

No comments: