Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Geek Heaven


Three new/newish series I gotta tell you about.

First two are web-based. Check out Trenches, coming to a computer near you in "fall 2007," which is not anywhere specific enough for me. It looks to me like a Battlestar Galactica/Starship Troopers/Aliens kind of thing to me. I so can't wait. They are not even charging for this one, which I find amazing.

Next is Sanctuary. I've been waiting for this one for a long time. Six webisodes available now, each about two bucks. Dark urban landscapes, Trinity-esque warrior maidens, scary CGI monsters. Not quite as formulaic as it sounds.

And finally is NBC's Chuck, premiering officially in September but sneak previewed at ComicCon this past weekend. My link is to a torrent site that posted it a few days earlier than that, even. Now that it's official, I'll see if I can find a better source. Absolutely hilarious. Great dialogue. Best of all, Adam Baldwin. Will they EVER let that man be funny again? He's a thug, AGAIN, but there's a sparkle in his eye that I hope bodes well for character development. Anyway, story synopsis is Chuck is a single guy working for a big box electronics store in technical support (the "Nerd Herd" booth). A long-out-of-touch college buddy sends him a fateful email with a mysterious attachment and boom, he finds himself the target of international intrigue. Some folk badly want him dead, others want him kept alive just as badly. Which is which? I cannot rave enough about this pilot episode. At least with NBC, it has a slight chance of staying on the air, unlike with some networks I could mention.

No comments: