Adapted from a recipe on allrecipes.com.
(makes about 80 servings)
18 c. all-purpose flour
1-1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. baking powder
3 lb. salted butter
1 quart heavy cream
6 eggs, beaten
8 pounds strawberries
3 c. sugar
4 cans of aerosol whipped cream topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2 In a VERY large bowl, combine flour, 1-1/2 c. sugar and baking powder. Use a pastry blender to blend in the butter. Make a well in the center and add the beaten eggs and the heavy cream, and stir to blend.
3. Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead about 2 minutes. Then divide the dough into 4 parts. (If you prefer, divide the dough into 4 parts before the kneading to make the kneading easier.)
4. Pat the dough about 1/2 inch thick into 4 ungreased 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pans. Score the dough in 20 servings per pan.
5. Bake the shortcake about 20-25 minutes, till lightly browned.
6. Wash, hull and slice the strawberries. Toss them with the 3 c. sugar to allow the juice to release.
To serve, cut the shortcakes apart, then split them through the middle. Layer the bottom of the shortbread, then a spoonful of berries with juice, then the top of the shortbread and finally top with whipped cream. Serves about 80.