Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Prairie Home Companion

In 2002, which is when I turned 40, my dear husband surprised me with tickets to A Prairie Home Companion at the Fitzgerald Theater in the Twin Cities. My parents looked after the children while we went to the show. It was a wonderful experience. I will never forget it. Not that I need to worry about that: The whole show is still on the website here.

Near the end is a song sung by Robin and Linda Williams, "If I Should Fall Behind." I believe Bruce Springsteen wrote it, and I've listened to his version and don't like it nearly as well. Every time I hear Robin and Linda sing it, tears come to my eyes, especially at the last verse. I know that someday one of us, Barry or I, will have to be left behind when the other goes to heaven, at least for awhile; I don't like to think about that day. Going together would probably mean a tragic accident which would be awful for our children so I guess one at a time is best. But still, I don't look forward to that time for whichever one has to be left behind.

Here are the words that always get me:

Now everyone dreams of a love lasting and true,
But you and I know what this world can do.
So lets make our steps clear, that the other may see 
And I'll wait for you. If I should fall behind, wait for me.

Now there's a beautiful river in the valley ahead
Down by the old oak where we were wed. 
Should we lose each other in the evening shadows of the trees,
I'll wait for you, and if I should fall behind, wait for me.

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/bruce+springsteen/#share

No comments: