Monday, April 05, 2010

The Hugos

The Hugo finalists have been announced, and you can find the full list here.

Up for the full-length movie award are five films, each of which I love but for completely different reasons, and I'm glad I'm not going to be one of the ones to pick a winner, because I'd be completely at a loss. They are (in alphabetical order):

Avatar (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) [Blu-ray] District 9 (Single-Disc Edition) Moon Star Trek (Single-Disc Edition) Up (Single Disc Widescreen)


See what I mean? Argh!

And Kij Johnson's "Spar" is a nominee for the Hugo. She's already won the Nebula with this story. I have read it twice and while I find it amazing, I cannot honestly recommend it; I feel like I need to go through an autoclave a couple of times each time I read it myself, as the ick factor is extremely high. It's a story that I can admire as a piece of writing without saying I actually like it, if that makes any sense. As Kij herself describes it on her website, "This is a very disturbing and sexually explicit story - not for kids!"

No comments: