Saturday, November 22, 2008

Giving my Butcher-block Countertops Some Love

The countertops to either side of the stove are chunks of rock maple butcherblock, from an 8-foot butcherblock baker's table I bought years ago at an auction. John Pitts' team cut it up and planed it and sanded it, but it was left to me to season it.

I rubbed 2 coats of food-grade mineral oil into the surfaces, leaving about 6 hours between applications for it to soak in, and then this morning, at the recommendation of a website I cannot find right now, I grated up some pure beeswax into a saucepan, added an equal amount, approximately, of mineral oil, and warmed it over the stove while stirring to melt the beeswax. I put a thick coat of that on the wood, left it for about half an hour, and buffed off the excess with a soft cloth, and now I have one more coat on it. The wood is saying THANK YOU!! by being beautiful and smelling great.

I think I'll save my application cloth and substitute it for the yucky old grease-rag I use to wipe my cast iron after I dry it on the stove.

No comments: