Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Yes, sorry, it was me - I broke the Internet

It MUST have been me. First Mediacom went down while I was working at home, so then I went to the library where they have Ace DSL, and after a couple of hours, that went down too. In fact, the whole town of New Albin was without phone, cable or Internet service last evening. Some places were even without power. 

Turns out it was a spot down where they are working on the new bike trail that runs along the Great River Road. Somebody dug before they called, or something, and pretty much everything got cut. I just don't understand why it didn't all go down at once.

So now I have a lot of work hours to make up and a rotten attitude to boot.

On the plus side, the neighborhood came alive. Everybody went out in their yards, the kids played, we talked grown-up talk and we didn't have to use a mouse or a trackball or put "lol" anywhere. It was amazing.  We could actually SEE our neighbors' faces - without Webcams!

I am reminded of the South Park episode where the Internet goes down. I'm not going to link it here, as it is NSFWOAPE (not safe for work or any place else). 

No comments: