Friday, August 14, 2009
Finished by Friday: Tablecloth Dress
I had this wild cotton printed tablecloth/bedspread thing from India, complete with elephants, and decided it needed to be a big, full skirt. I really wanted it to be a dress, though. I ended up cutting the skirt pieces first, then using the scraps to make the halter top (using Amy Butler's Cabo Halter pattern). It wasn't ideal; the scraps were rather skimpy, and some things that should have been cut on the straight grain are cut cross grain, and I had to use plain black cotton for the lining and back panels, but I like the outfit. The skirt is not hemmed yet. Since it's cut on the bias, it needs to hang for awhile, and I decided to hang it on myself rather than a dress form or hanger. More fun that way.
I really, really thought I was smiling in this picture. Turns out I was just squinting. I'm not really in a rotten mood, it just looks like it.