Sunday, May 30, 2010

Thinking of Camp River Glen

For some reason I was reminded today of Camp River Glen, a camp that our church used to lease in the San Bernardino National Forest. I have great memories of weekends there in all seasons, first as a college student, then later as a young married, and eventually a young married with a couple of tiny kids.

It got me wondering what happened to the camp. The lease had run out many years ago, and there have been fires through that area of the forest over the years. A quick Googling told me that the facility was eventually donated to UniCamp, the summer camp service arm of UCLA. I found a YouTube video of a bunch of kids enjoying camp. I didn't see much in the background that I could be certain was the camp I remembered, though I think I saw the main lodge building in one shot. Here it is.



Good to see it's still giving people joy.

1 comment:

Felisol said...

Memories are made of this.
If we only knew how much these days of togetherness meant, we'd sacrifice more to to pass it on to further generations.
In Norway summer camps are not that usual, except for scouts. (And both I and our daughter have had our fair share of those.)
I'm thinking of the wonderful place by the fjord where three generations from the Pentecostal church in May used to celebrate end of Sunday school year and in mid June midsummer feast.

The site did not belong to the church, but a family, and my uncles would drive two overloaded buses filled with grandparents, mums, dads, teenagers and babies. Atleast about a hundred, I think, and I and my family were there for 16 years in a row.

I think the good Lord love seeing his children having a good time, dancing, playing, eating and flirting.
(Oh, I was 16, the boy was 16 and we went hand in hand the whole night, till dawn broke. Sweet, wonderful innocence.)