Thursday, July 03, 2008

What's for Supper? - Salmon Stuffed Potatoes


Salmon Baked Potatoes
from Bruce Carlson's The Great Midwest American Wild Critter Cookbook
6 medium baking potatoes
1/3 c. milk
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoonful salt
1/2 teaspoonful paprika
1 T. lemon juice
2 T. butter
1-1/2 c. salmon
1/3 c. minced onion
buttered bread crumbs

Bake potatoes. Saute salmon and onions in butter. Split potatoes and scoop out inside and mix with milk, egg, salt, paprika, lemon juice, sauteed salmon and onions. Return to potato shells and bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.


How I changed it:
1. I didn't have fresh or frozen salmon, so I used canned skinless boneless salmon.
2. Nearly any recipe can be improved by adding cheese, in my opinion, so I added a couple of tablespoons of crumbled Mindoro Blue cheese to the mixture, and I topped the potatoes with a slice each of longhorn cheese rather than the bread crumbs.
The Verdict:
Meh. Not bad. I can think of more delicious things to do with a coupla cans of salmon, though. Barry liked it.



This is an interesting cookbook. I think I will list it on eBay because I'm not sure I can handle having it in the house. I might throw up. For example, there are recipes for pickled deer heart, fricasseed raccoon, little critter stew (uses whatever little furry things you can catch), and most horribly, Fire Department Squirrel Stew ("serves about 5 tons of hungry firemen"). Ugh.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Cute recipes! The best chili recipe I have is meant for venison. And I`m not much into tiny critters either. I`ll give you a link to that apron you were asking about too.

Catherine said...

Sorry, that was somebody else with an apron question. I do adore those cookie jars in your other post. Fabulous!