Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What is the name of this quilt block?

Crazy Mom Quilts is doing a Quilt-a-Long on her blog, a star sampler. I'm not doing it, because I don't really like sampler quilts, but I am enjoying watching everybody else. This week's block is a star that is driving me crazy because it looks so familiar but I can't think of the name of it. It doesn't look like much all by itself, but when you piece it into a whole top you get all these secondary reads on the pattern and it's just gorgeous.

I played with it in Photoshop. Here is a simple setting:
And here is a more complicated one that I like a lot better.

So, does anyone know what it's called? It looks pretty in reds and white (everything looks good in red and white), but it would also make a gorgeous Christmas quilt, or in fall colors for Thanksgiving.

P.S. Here's a piecing guide for that second setting.


Mrs. Mac said...

I call these 'flashback stars' ;) ... when I was a wee lass, I visited with a neighbor girl whose parents had just put up some kitchen wallpaper adorned with quilting stars ... green stars ... and to this day when I close my eyes I have a flashback and can 'see' the stars in my head ... back of my eyelids ... strange I know.

amandajean said...

I love it! I was hoping that you would show me a sample of it all put together. and I think everything DOES look good in red and white.